Palestine Community Music in 2016
2016 was a year full of music activities in our Palestine Community Music program. While we already started a new project in a school for children with special needs in al-Khader, we would like to look back and share with you who we reached in 2016.
We organized music events in which a total of 3477 children (1441 boys and 2036 girls) actively participated:
- 85 children from refugee camps, villages and an orphanage, as well as children with chronic diseases received a series of rap workshops, recorded their songs and performed. The performances were attend by approximately 900 people.
- 3 series of Music as Therapy sessions were given to 9 children with special needs in al-Azzeh refugee camp, House of Hope and Beit Jalla school for special needs (March-May). We gave three extra sessions to 12 children with special needs in September, observed by the director and music therapist of Music as Therapy International.
- 3130 children participated in music workshops or Musical Playground workshops and performances, including 262 children with special needs, in 15 schools and more than 20 kindergartens.
- Special music workshops were given to 156 children with special needs. 75 of these workshops were for deaf children and given by our deaf workshop leader.
- Three interactive music performances were given for 85 people (age 1-90) by international and Palestinian musicians participating in the Palestine Choir Festival, in Dheisheh refugee camp, Caritas Baby Hospital, and the Nursery Home for Old People in Beit Sahur.
We trained 55 people in Music and Nonviolent Leadership:
- 15 social workers and music teachers from Sounds of Palestine received several training sessions in nonviolent communication, community…